Our most frequently asked questions and answers
- Competitively Priced
- Guild Of Master Chimney Sweeps Certified, HETAS Registered and City & Guilds Accredited
- Insured with Liability Insurance over £2.5 million
- Operate Professional Service Vehicles
- Provide a Written Documentation of Service/ Certificate (We issue the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps Sweeping certificates after every sweep)
- Uniformed (all sweeps are not only CBS checked, but come to each appointment professionally dressed in our recognizable uniforms with our company logo)
- Ready to Schedule (with both online booking available 24 hours per day and knowledgeable administration staff available 8 hours per day 5 days per week, you can stop calling around and book your sweep today!
When preparing for an appointment with one of our sweeps, please:
- Be sure to clean out your ash box so that our techs can see what they’re doing and get right to work.
- Remove any fragile items from the area in which we will be working. Our sweeps typically appreciate a good 2 X 2 meter or 6 X 6 foot clearance in which to set up their equipment.
- Do not use your appliance for a full 24 hours before your appointment. This will give it adequate time to cool before our sweeps begin working.
Remember, for the speediest service, it’s best to schedule your non-emergency chimney services during our “off-season” (April-August) — our schedule can get pretty tight during winter!
Chimney problems can be caused by a variety of things, but here are some of the most common causes:
- A flue that’s too big or too small for the appliance. If your flue is too big or too small for the appliance it’s venting, you can bet you’ll have smoke problems, as well as efficiency problems. If this is the cause of your chimney trouble, we may be able to resolve the problem with a simple flue relining.
- A missing chimney cap. It may not seem all that important, but a chimney cap can do a great job of keeping gusts of wind from bursting into your chimney and forcing smoke back into your home. If a missing chimney cap is responsible for your problems, we can install a new one for you in no time..
- Water intrusion and damage. Water damage can be responsible for a lot of your chimney problems, from mouldy odours and rusted fireboxes to smoke and carbon monoxide problems. In fact, water is one of the worst things to happen to a chimney, so if you suspect water trouble, give us a call right away. We can locate the point of intrusion, put a stop to it, and protect your system from future problems. We fix leaky chimneys!
- Poor design. Of course if your chimney was poorly constructed, you’re bound to encounter problems with your system. Some design flaws may be chimney height or crown design. Whatever the design issue, our sweeps know how to fix the problem and add enjoyment and warmth back into your home.
- A flue blockage. If there are animals, nesting materials, thick creosote, or other debris restricting airflow in your chimney, you may notice a number of problems related to both health and efficiency. A proper chimney cleaning can remedy this situation quickly and effectively.
Let us help you, whatever trouble you’re experiencing with your chimney system, the team at STOVA chimney Services can help!
How often a chimney should be swept depends on the type of fuel.
- Smokeless fuels: At least once a year
- Bituminous Coal: At least twice a year
- Wood: Quarterly (when in use)
- Oil: Once a year
- Gas: Once a year – A Gas Safe registered engineer must carry out work on gas appliances
- Thatched properties should be swept at least twice per year any fuel type
A chimney terminal goes a long way in keeping some pretty destructive things out of your chimney system, like:
- Animals – To an animal, a chimney can be a pretty appealing home. But when animals get into your chimney, they can bring with them leaves, sticks and other nesting materials and disease. Not only can these things lead to health and noise problems for those in the home, but they can also cause serious damage to the chimney and make enjoying a fire a dangerous thing. But a quality chimney terminal can keep animals and their belongings out of your chimney for years and years.
- Water – Water is one of the worst things you can allow into your chimney. But without a chimney terminal, water has an easy entrance into your chimney flue where it can cause masonry components to crack and decay. The simple addition of a chimney terminal can keep your chimney protected from the threat of moisture.
- Down draught– In addition to the destructive things that enter your chimney it can also cure chimney problems like down drafts. Downdrafts are caused by wind entering the chimney at the top and blowing smoke and carbon monoxide out of the fireplace. These can turn a nice, warm fire into a smoky threat. Add a chimney terminal to your home and the chance of getting down draughts in your chimney is significantly reduced.
We also supply and fit terminals, please ask for a quote at your next chimney sweeping appointment.
If you follow us on social media you can also take advantage of our summer offers!